Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

There are clearly some issues discussed here which people have very real feelings about. Already this site has been taking a leading role in action against the betting shops, the CPZ and giving people the information to take action for themselves on other issues.

Some recent discussion, like Gating the Ladder and Crime on the 29 seem to resonate quite widely. Should we seek to move this discussion from healthy debate to positive action?

Tags for Forum Posts: charter, glsg, housing, vision

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, there's only so much discussion people can have!

It's important that professionals who serve within this community providing front line services are able to contribute their 'informed' opinion and ideas (and indeed 'personal' opinion if they wish) into these debates. Otherwise we could all be going around in circles.

Some of these topics are emotive and crime (for example) is at the centre of both topics mentioned above. Many different opinions come into play. Theoritically the way the local democratic system is meant to work is that our councillors take in the various opinions on a topic to the cabinet for a decision towards action. This may revolve around a planning application or regeneration works for example. I'm not sure how well this system has served its community thus far.

To be fair though a fairly good example has been the consultation carried out for changes to the Falkland/Fairfax open space. A well attended consultation has provided useful input and fed into the current plans. A Working Group was set up and will carry these plans forward depending on funding.

As to how one carries 'positive action' forward via other means, I'm all ears! A very good idea to bring this up Hugh.
Well, I suppose what needs to happen is that out of the debates that start on this site, or elsewhere, some person or group of persons needs to take the bull by the horns and commit to organising and moving to action, as we have tried to do on the CPZ and betting shops. We ain't always going to be successful. But the more we organise for action, the more we work together, the more likely we are to succeed.

Whilst every issue doesn't move every person, and many will never have the time or the inclination to act, it's also important that any interest groups co-ordinate and share knowledge and strategies. This isn't the rebirth of any university radicalsim (to be honest it was never really born), but I'm afraid it sounds that way. What I am concerned about is to simply to look at our patch see if there's a way we can't pick up on things a bit more as neighbours acting together, leveraging the strength of numbers and try and shape the place in which we live.
Yes I'm with you on finding a more efficient way of moving issues forward that clearly need action. I'm just not sure of the avenue one could take.

We have 'representatives' from the police, local schools and political parties (councillors) on this site as members. They would currently receive your weekly updates. Maybe these representatives (for want of a better term) could receive a separate fortnightly 'action report'. They could then update this online community as they progress through the (rather slow) machinery of local government regards highlighted issues.

But is the current LCSP the best meeting forum in which to filter these issues through. It meets monthly does it not and has those mentioned 'representatives' on board.
The LCSP already do some great work. I've also been in discussion with them about how they might develop a broader base of support. So , yes it's just the right sort of group to help co-ordinate any action. But "they" would need to become "we" for it to have the resources to do more. And I guess that means it up to us to get involved and for a broader range of people to be willing to take a lead. Do you think?
Sounds reasonable enough. Could be another topic for March 4th at The Salisbury? [How to broaden LCSP's reach and remit?]
That's a possibility. But I guess I'm talking more about people joining in with the LCSP and working with them. Since this is already on their agenda, I'm wondering whether it might not be more sensible to discuss this directly with the LCSP and find out what their issues are as a first step.
What, another pub discussion?
There are two 'road groups' on here both of whom have people who attend LCSP (I mean me and now you, H) and there are people on here who have 'action groups based around their roads concerns. While an 'action report' will undoubtedly serve to inform the groups who work in Harringay, nothing says I am serious to the 'mandarins' than real people talking to them. It may be an idle thought but trying to find people who are prepared to follow that action report into these meetings as you, Matt, do and as I am now trying to do for Warham Road could have more of an impact.
Here on this site we share information, do original reporting and give people a way to get involved. We can help to shape the agenda of community groups but I think some of us must be prepared to get out of the virtual world and into the real one.
People are politically interested but do not necessarily want their information about local events filtered through party politics or vested interests (that is NOT a dig at anyone but a general comment). This site is a great opportunity to have debate and discussion without having to book the local church hall but unless we then have foot soldiers prepared to take that debate to community groups, it will not have the 'muscle' it should have, given how fast its membership is growing.
Anyone prepared to 'get out in the field'?
Hi Liz

I think you bring up some very important points. I also believe it important to see more members, as they're called, come into this discussion. Otherwise it may be that one is barking up the wrong tree. Maybe, in other words, people see this site predominantly as a way of connecting up with other local people who have information and ideas to share on a particular interest (e.g. cycling locally).

It might be that people are happy to have a moan about 'council services' rather than be inclined to push for change. Who knows!

If there is to be a method for moving issues onto action then possibly some sort of voting poll system is needed near the end of each month, so members determine which (3?) issues go onto the 'action agenda' to be disseminated for community group agendas/consultations/actions.

A topic for the pub March 4th me thinks! Btw, meeting up at 8:30pm at The Salisbury if that suits. :)
You may be right, Matt. It is significant perhaps that the people who have entered this discussion are those who were active before they came to the site.
In many cases, though, even apparently quite 'tame' discussions (see Gardening!) have morphed into discussions about action with some people even committing at least on line to doing something as in the '29' discussion.
I just can't help thinking there needs to be more joined up thinking if we are to shape the agendas of community groups.
Take the discussion on 'ugly shop fronts' and the posts on the type of businesses that are on green lanes as well as the put the 'Grand back into Grand Parade' and the cycling superhighway debate. These are all part of the same issue around what people want their environment to be like. You know, for the first time this week I found out about the Green lanes Strategy group. Well this site is formulating a strategy for them so how do we take it to them, engage them and convince them there is widespread support for it?
'Respect' for the heritage of a place is about winning hearts and minds. What have traders to gain from change? How will things be 'policed'? How do you undo neglect? How do you retain the diversity that makes Harringay a great place to live?
Matt, we have much to talk about :)
Hugh, how do we spread this debate wider?
Carolyn, how do we engage all community reps in the way you have engaged with us on this debate?
Matt/Hugh,

There are a number of fora where the 'parties' discussed are present the LCSP is one, also the area assembly, green lanes strategy group and the safer neighbourhood panel. From my experience of attending these panels etc. the input of organisations such as LCSP play a significant role in helping to focus the attention of the 'representatives' present. I would certainly welcome more input like this and an action report sounds like a very useful tool. If it helps in formulating this kind of tool, as most of the 'representatives' mentioned above rely to an extent on an executive function to implement some of the changes requested by the community it would also be useful if you could give your 'actions' priorities (high, medium, low).
I'd guess this 'actions report' (yes, with level priorities) would go to the chair of each group Carolyn mentions. The key is for these people is to feed back down the chain to this website (and of course via area assemblies).

This website is a good tool in which to spread such communications. Very few people have heard of the LCSP (and certainly not the Green Lanes Strategy group!) or bother with an area assembly. Harringey People magazine is a propaganda magazine that never reports on local initiatives unless a cabinet member has their mug-shot included so that tool doesn't work as a feedback mechanism.

The police ward panel is important but needs a rapid response feed from the community on issues that are affecting them now, and the issues need to be specified in more detail (eg. pick pocketing on bus 29 rather than pick pocketing in general). The panel can feed back to the site on it's measures and progress.

Hugh, what do you think? A fortnightly (or monthly) prioritized Action Report emailed to chairs of specified groups (?)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service